Classified Documents Found At Mike Pence’s Indiana Home, Joins Trump, Biden In Document Saga

0
329
Mike Pence
Former Vice President Mike Pence sits for an interview with the Associated Press, Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

According to a letter sent to the National Archives by Pence’s attorney, on January 16, about a dozen documents marked confidential were found at the home of former Vice President Mike Pence in Indiana.

Pence’s team told the National Archives on Wednesday that a handful of documents were “carelessly bagged and taken to the former vice president’s home” at the end of the Trump administration. I didn’t realize there were documents and classified documents in my house,” wrote Greg Jacob, Pence’s presidential records handler.

Mike Pence

The documents were collected Thursday night by his FBI at Pence’s home in Carmel, Indiana. Pence was in Washington, D.C.When the FBI gathered the records, it was for the annual March for Life.

It is not yet clear what the document covers and how confidential or sensitive it is.

Pence asked his lawyers to search his home as a precautionary measure, and lawyers last week began searching four boxes of his that were kept at Pence’s home and found a handful of documents marked confidential.

The findings at Pence’s mansion come as President Joe Biden faces mounting criticism and a federal investigation after classified information was discovered in his Delaware home and the old offices of a Washington, D.C. think tank. was dropped.

Former President Donald Trump was also killed by the federal government after hundreds of secretly marked documents and hundreds of pages of presidential records were found at his private club and residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida. is under investigation.

The FBI used a search warrant to search Mar-a-Lago in August, and after the incident, Pence said he personally held no classified material after resigning. “No, not to my knowledge,” he told the Associated Press in August.

Also in November, Pence was asked by ABC News if he had taken classified documents from the White House.

“I didn’t,” Pence replied.

“There’s no reason to classify the documents, especially if they’re in unprotected locations,” Pence said. “But I believe there needed to be a much better way to solve this problem than issuing a search warrant to the private residence of the former president of the United States.”

The news about Pence comes amid speculation that he is preparing to run for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.